Wednesday, May 18, 2011

In defense of structure decks.

A note from the tourney: one of the regulars saw me playing Machina Gadgets and shook his head. He apologized, but he said he couldn't imagine playing a modified structure deck in a competitive tourney.

If you feel that way, I can understand to a degree. Just don't let me hear you crying next month when people who don't agree with your sentiments start fucking shit up with Agent Angel.

The Lost Sanctuary deck gives Angel decks a variant of Dark Armed Dragon, a level two tuner that acts like Machina Gearframe, and an Allure of Darkness variant. Add to that the common versions of formerly secret rares like Marshmallon, Tethys, Valhalla, and (last but not least!) Archlord Kristya that will be floating around, and we have a playable deck that becomes very capable of tourney play with a few additions.

Konami has done this quite a bit recently, making structure decks that are playable in tournaments with a little variation, and I approve because it can get more people involved in tourney play. The players who can't afford a Six Sam or X-Saber deck can buy three copies of the deck and wind up with a deck that they'll feel more confident in playing in a tourney. More players, bigger prize pool, and more of a chance to learn and grow.

In a more greedy vein, it also gives me more options of decks to play, because I don't like playing the same deck week in and week out. So yeah, I'll be in line once again to get my copies of Lost Sanctuary when it drops June 15, and I advise you to do the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment